Invitation from the President
President’s Invitation to the 62nd Annual Meeting
I am pleased to invite you to attend the 62nd Annual Meeting of the Society for Birth Defects Research and Prevention, June 25–29, 2022, at the Hyatt Regency Vancouver in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
The Annual Meeting and Education Courses will take place in-person and will include a virtual experience to make remote participation possible in the event a registrant cannot attend in person (see Meeting Format for more information).
The theme for this year’s meeting is “From Bench to Bedside and Back Again.” The Program Committee, chaired by Bruce Beyer, has put together an outstanding program around this theme. Scientific session topics include:
- Novel Approaches for Assessment of Complex Chemical Mixtures in Evaluations of Reproductive and Developmental Effects
- The Legacy of Dr. Robert L. Brent: Accurate Assessment and Communication of Teratogen Risks
- The Key Characteristics Approach for Hazard Perspectives Identification: Alternative Perspectives
- Disparities in Pregnancy and Birth Outcomes
- The DARTable Genome: Bringing Molecular and Developmental Biology to DART
- PFAS (Per- and Polyfluoroalkyl Substances) and Children's Health
- Predicting and Preparing for the Next Pandemic—Protecting Pregnant Persons, the Fetus, and the Children
- Environmental Justice in Birth Defects Research
- Novel Insights into the Genomics of Structural Birth Defects: Findings from the Gabriella Miller Kids First Pediatric Research Program
- Can Experimental Animal Studies Be Used in Counseling?
- BDRP/ETS Exchange Lecture
- Research Needs Workshop
- Professional Development Workshop
- Platform sessions, including the Graduate Student and Postdoctoral Fellow Platform and the Innovator Award Finalists Platform
- Poster sessions
- Social and professional networking events
Our Education Committee, which has a track record of organizing top notch continuing education courses, has developed the following Continuing Education courses, under the leadership of chair Katie Turner:
- Embryology and Toxicology of the Developing Respiratory System
- Birth Defects: Causes and Mechanisms
- New Technologies for Developmental and Reproductive Toxicity Testing: Microphysiological Systems (Mini Course)
For those who have never had the opportunity to attend a BDRP Annual Meeting, join us in 2022 and see for yourself how BDRP hosts an outstanding educational and scientific event that provides professionals and scientists who span the breadth of academia, industry, regulatory agencies, contract research organizations, consulting companies, and clinical specialties with a forum to exchange knowledge and ideas that promote and expand the value of birth defects research and prevention.
Once again, we are pleased to offer joint sessions and a joint registration fee to maximize interactions with our sister societies: the Developmental Neurotoxicology Society (DNTS) and the Organization of Teratology Information Specialists (OTIS). Concurrent meetings allow for joint sessions on topics of common interest, and the opportunity for networking between attendees, enriching the exchange of scientific ideas for all participants.
To make our meeting truly excellent, we need you! Abstracts are due Tuesday, February 15, 2022, and trainees whose abstracts are accepted may apply for travel awards.
I hope you will join us for what promises to be an informative and engaging 62nd Annual Meeting.
As a reminder, the Annual Meeting and Education Courses will take place in-person and will include a virtual experience to make remote participation possible in the event a registrant cannot attend in person (see Meeting Format for more information). For planning purposes, when you register, please let us know your expected mode of attendance (in person or remote).