What information is being collected?
For General Users: BDRP does not collect any personal identifying information from users just browsing our website. Our server recognizes your domain name and the pages that you visit. These data are gathered in an aggregate manner for quality control, statistical purposes, and improvement of our site. This information is never forwarded to third parties and we do not use any online tracking or interest-based advertising cookies or web beacons.
For BDRP Members, Meeting Registrants, and other Customers: Any personally identifying information collected from you is used to fulfill a specific service or contractual agreement such as meeting registration, webinar registration, abstract submissions, donations, dues renewals, or purchase of BDRP products and services.
- To gain access to the member-restricted information, members are asked to provide their email address and member password. Within your member profile, you may choose to provide us with additional personal data at your discretion, such as name, demographic information, employer, phone number, and location data. You can control how much information you choose to share with us.
- To gain access to the registration and customer management system, users are asked to provide their name and email address and to create a password in order to setup an account to process registrations. Within your customer profile, you may choose to provide us with additional personal data at your discretion, such as demographic information, employer, phone number, and location data. You can control how much information you choose to share with us.
- If you use our Member networking site, BDR Connection, you may choose which data is shown to other Members and may also post information, opinions, photographs, video, images, graphics, and other content or materials of any nature (collectively, “Materials”) within that application. You have control of who sees this Material through your use of the privacy settings available through the site. If you choose, the Materials will be viewable by other users.
- Any personally identifying information collected from you when you apply for a BDRP award is used to fulfill the specific purpose of providing staff contact methods to reach you regarding the status of your application, and for the awards review process to differentiate between applicants. Any required application materials (CV, recommendation letters, etc.) are only shared with the Awards Committees responsible for reviewing and selecting award recipients. If you are selected as a recipient of the award and are registered for a meeting or received complimentary membership, then the above listed policies under “For BDRP Members, Meeting Registrants, and other Customers” apply.
- Any personally identifying information collected from you when you are registered for a BDRP Meeting as a Speaker, is only used to contact you regarding your speaker obligations, to share relevant information with Meeting attendees, and to share relevant Meeting information with you. Should you at any time wish to end your communication with BDRP, you are welcome to unsubscribe from these communications.
How will your information be used?
The BDRP uses information collected on the website to enhance our products and services. Demographic information is specifically used for the purpose of monitoring or improving the use of and satisfaction with our website. BDRP ensures the security and privacy of any personally identifiable information that we collect. At any time, you may view and/or update your registered information by accessing your Membership Profile. Alternatively, users may contact BDRP Headquarters (BDRP@birthdefectsresearch.org or 703.438.3104).
BDRP makes member contact information available through the BDRP website, the BDR Connection member network, and the Membership Directory online only to other members using the website. BDRPuses your email address to respond to your request(s) and to relay membership communication such as Officer and Bylaws Ballots, Calls for Session Proposals and Abstracts, and other important membership correspondence.
Legal Basis for Using Your Information
BDRP will only use your personal data when the law allows us to. We may use your personal data in order to perform the contract we entered into with you. If you failed to provide personal data required to perform the contract, we may not be able to perform the contract and we may have to cancel a product or service you have with us. We will notify you if this is the case at the time.
BDRP may use your personal data based on your consent. By providing BDRP your personal information, you are actively agreeing to interact with us, through membership and/or other events and services, and giving us consent to use your personal data. You have the right to withdraw your consent at any time by contacting us. Please remember that withdrawing your consent does not remove the legal basis to use your information to perform the contract where applicable.
How Long Your Information Is Stored
BDRP follows a record retention policy which is available to members on the members-only section of the website and is otherwise available upon request. BDRP will continue to communicate with individuals for as long as a member or other customer/partner is actively engaged with BDRP and for four years after their last interaction, to ensure that those interested in BDRP services are provided the latest information. After inactivity for four years, an individual’s information will be kept in the database on the secure internal network, but it will not be processed for communication purposes. Individual information can be anonymized upon request by contacting BDRP Headquarters at BDRP@birthdefectsresearch.org. BDRP follows Internal Revenue Service guidelines for retention of accounting and tax records.
Disclosure to Third Parties
- BDRP makes member contact information available through the online BDRP Membership Directory Online only to other members logged into the website. At any time you may view and/or update your registered information by accessing your Membership Profile. Alternatively, users may contact BDRP Headquarters (email@example.com or 703.438.3104). You may update your online profile at any time to change your communication subscription preferences and/or to indicate that you do not want us to share your mailing information with third parties.
- BDRP headquarters staff use your email address to respond to your request(s) and to relay membership communication such as Officer and Bylaws Ballots, and important membership correspondence.
- BDRP is a member of the Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology (FASEB).
- As such, BDRP members are also FASEB members and will be included in the FASEB Membership Directory (name and organization only) unless a member Opts Out which may be done when renewing membership dues or by contacting BDRP Headquarters (BDRP@birthdefectsresearch.org or 703.438.3104).
- Periodically, BDRP may share personally identifiable information with organizations that we believe might have a product or service of interest to you. Limited data provided to third parties include name, affiliation and business address. Your email, telephone, and fax numbers will not be disclosed to third parties.
- BDRP may share limited personal information (first and last name) with our contracted hotel partners for our Annual Meeting. The information used solely to audit our room blocks to ensure attendees receive the discounted hotel room rate. BDRP never shares any other personal information other than your first and last name with our hotel partners.
- BDRP uses various payment processors to complete payments on our website, each who have their own privacy policies. We do not retain any personally identifiable information linked to financial information such as credit card numbers. Information is provided directly to the third-party processer at the time you submit payment.
- PayPal (used as a processor for dues, registrations, services, products, and sponsorships)
- Stripe (used to process exhibit payments)
- BDRP uses various third-party service providers to process administrative tasks for certain activities, each who have their own privacy policies:
Responses to Legal Requests
BDRP reserves the right to share your information to respond to duly authorized information requests of governmental authorities or where required by law. BDRP will ensure proper communication with regulatory authorities to ensure privacy.
How we use “Cookies”
How We Use Google Analytics
BDRP’s website employs Google Analytics to collect detailed metrics to analyze visits to our websites and track behavior in the aggregate and via Internet Protocol (IP). Google Analytics records the pages you view within our site, how you arrived at our site and some basic information about your browser and the operating system of your computer or device. The information we collect from Google Analytics helps us understand what parts of our sites are most used, how people arrive at our site and so on. Like most websites, we use this information to make our website better.
How Can I Control My Information?
You can control the information we have about you and how we use it in several ways:
- If you are a registered user, you can review, revise, and correct the personal data that you have provided to BDRP via your BDRP account;
- If you have received an unwanted email, use the unsubscribe method provided in our various communications and/or manage your subscription preferences online; and
- If you no longer wish to interact with BDRP and want your personal information deleted, you can make a request by contacting us by email or as outlined below. BDRP will delete your personal information and maintain your participation information in an anonymous fashion, so that any data we hold about how you have interacted with BDRP in the past will be made anonymous.
BDRP is headquartered in the United States and your personal data may be transferred to the United States or other locations where privacy laws may not be as protective as those in your jurisdiction. For the European Union users, the European Commission has approved the use of model contract clauses as a means of ensuring adequate protection when transferring data outside of the European Economic Area (“EEA”). By incorporating model contract clauses into a contract between BDRP and the third-party processors that BDRP engages, your information can be protected when transferred outside of the EEA to countries which have not been deemed by the European Commission to adequately protect personal data, including the United States.
European Union Privacy Rights
Under the General Data Protection Regulation (also known as GDPR), if you are an individual protected by the GDPR, you have the following rights:
- Access: you may receive information about our processing of your personal data and a copy of your personal data.
- Correct: you may request us to update or correct inaccurate data we have about you. You can also do this by accessing your information as described above.
- Delete: you may ask us to delete your personal information. See above for more detail.
- Opt-out: you may change your subscription setting at any time and stop receiving any direct marketing communications as described above.
- Transfer: you may ask us to transfer your personal data in a machine-readable format to a third party of your choice.
- Restrict: you may ask us to restrict the processing of your personal information under certain circumstances.
- Object: you may object to our reliance on our legitimate interest as the basis of our processing if you believe it impacts your fundamental rights and freedoms.
- Complain: you have a right to submit a complaint to the supervisory authority in the Member State in which you are located. The list of Data Protection authorities and their contact information are available on the European Commission’s website.
If you wish to exercise any of the rights above, please contact us by email at BDRP@birthdefectsresearch.org.
Acceptance of Conditions
At any time, you may view and/or update your information or change your communication preferences by accessing your membership profile or mailing list preferences on BDR Connection.
To request we update, delete or return your information to you, users may contact BDRP or call 703.438.3104. We will respond to your request within 30 days.
Our mailing address is:
11190 Sunrise Valley Drive, Suite 300
Reston, VA 20191
Personal information. Any data about an identified or identifiable individual, including data that identifies an individual or that could be used to identify, locate, track, or contact an individual. Personal information includes both directly identifiable information such as a name, identification number or unique job title, and indirectly identifiable information such as date of birth, unique mobile or wearable device identifier, telephone number as well as key-coded data.
Third party. Any legal entity, association or person that is not owned by BDRP, or in which BDRP does not have a controlling interest.
- International Intellectual Property and Copyright laws protect all materials contained on the BDRP website. ‘Material’ includes all text, graphics, icons, photographs, software, audio, and video. Permission is granted to download, copy, or print material for personal, instructional, or noncommercial use.
- Information contained on our website does not necessarily represent the views or opinions of BDRP. Information found on the BDRP website should not be relied on as medical, legal, business, or tax advice.
- The BDRP website provides hyperlinks to external sites for the convenience of our visitors. Such a hyperlink does not imply that BDRP endorses the content or operation of external sites. You are solely responsible for how you use any external site linked from this website.
- The laws of the State of Virginia and the United States of America apply, no matter where this website is viewed. Any suits filed against BDRP must be filed in the state of Virginia.
Give Us Your Feedback
Effective February 15, 2021